Total Pageviews

Wednesday 18 April 2012

Cherry Heaven Cheesecake


Love my sour cherry tree. The first couple of years we were here the tree was bursting with the little red globes a really beautiful sight, but pop one of the gorgeous lovelies in the mouth only to spit them out in disgust!
Then my lovely neighbours showed me how to preserve them & turn them into amazing taste bud loving experience!
I highly recommend the preserving of these cherries as they can be used in so many different ways or just eaten with ice cream.
I also love non baked cheesecake so I wanted to make something different for my friends who were coming to share Easter with us. I had a sudden image of cheesecake pop into my head & that was it, decision made a creamy, sweet but tart confection of love:-) Try it you will love it!
I have substituted vegetable cream here as we can't get dairy cream, & low fat cream cheese but you can substitute full fat:-)
I have not found digestive biscuits here in Bulgaria but, if you are here, a friend has told me CBA sell them.. I used a "Morning coffee", "Rich tea" type of biscuit which gave a lovely soft cakey feel to the base, if this is not your thing then use digestive biscuits for a harder crunchy texture.

350g (2 x packs) Philadelphia low fat cream cheese
60g Icing sugar
250ml Double or Whipping cream
150g Butter softened
260g "Morning coffee" style biscuits
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp Lemon juice
250ml Double cream
Cherry compote  (I make mine but you can buy it)
I don't think you can get such a delectable dessert that is any easier to make.
First if you have a processor then blitz the biscuits till they are breadcrumb like then add the butter & blitz on pulse to combine. If not then put the biscuits in a bag & smash with a rolling pin or a large serving spoon :-) & combine the butter in a bowl.

Press firmly into a spring form or loose bottom pan, 20cm or smaller. Put this into a cold fridge for an hour or two.
Whip the cream till it is thickened.
In a bowl beat together cream cheese, vanilla, lemon juice & Icing sugar, then fold in the cream.
Spread over the biscuit base & place in fridge overnight.
CHERRY COMPOTE
I preserve my own sour cherries, but if you don't, then a jar of bought ones will suffice or you can buy the sauce.
1 x jar of sour/black cherries tip into a saucepan, juice too. Add 4 - 6 dessert spoons of sugar & slowly dissolve. Continue to cook till the sauce thickens, stirring frequently. During this process check the taste for sweetness & tartness. Cool the sauce.
Remove the cheesecake from the pan (leave the base) & spread over the top just before serving
Serve on its own or be very decadent & serve with creamy ice cream or whipped double cream.
Enjoy!!!!!
Please let me know what you think :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment