Total Pageviews

Sunday 26 February 2012

Pickled Eggs Various

Am I being typically English or just preserving something else? I hope this is still being typically Bulgarian, even though it's not something they do. I have given Bulgarian friends a jar & they were bemused but enjoyed them nonetheless. I think the reason Bulgarians don't pickle eggs is that they don't need to preserve them, whereas we like the taste!
Yes I love pickled eggs & they are a great food when I'm watching my weight but it never occurred to me, befor now, to pickle them.
I had a eureka moment when I was pickling cabbage & onions, as we have lots of eggs & we are given some beauties by friends who keep chickens. So along with the normal pickles & preserves I am adding eggs.
Here are a few recipes & I have to say one I am not keen on but each to their own taste!
Good old plain.........
Measure how many eggs per jar before cooking. I always measure half a jar of vinegar, this should be enough.
Per Jar
Hard boiled eggs, peeled.
Vinegar
6 Peppercorns
1 tsp Sugar
1 tsp Salt 
Chilli flakes (optional)
1 Onion sliced
Bring vinegar, peppercorns, sugar, salt & chilli to boil. Slice the onions into large thin slices, layer with eggs in the jar. Strain vinegar mix & pour over the eggs.
Seal in a sterilised jar & store in a cold place or fridge. Once opened store in the fridge
My favourite Egg is pickled in beetroot juice! After eating the beetroots don't throw away the juice. Literally all you do is put the eggs in the juice & store in the fridge. See my pickled beetroot recipe, after 2 weeks they are ready to munch.
These are my least favourite, too vinagery for my liking, but they are interesting & if you like the stronger pickle taste then these will be your kind of egg......
Eggs, hard boiled & peeled.
2 pints Vinegar
10 blk peppercorns
1 Chilli pepper chopped ot dried chilli flakes
2 tsp Allspice
10 Cloves
3 Cinnamon sticks
Place eggs in sterilised jars
Heat vinegar & spices until liquid begins to boil, then turn down & simmer for 10mins or so. Remove from heat & cool liquid, strain &. pour over the eggs making sure they are covered completely.
Seal the jar & store in a cool dry place. Leave for 2 weeks, minimum.

No comments:

Post a Comment