Total Pageviews

Wednesday 29 February 2012

Bulgarian Keftedes or Kufteh (Bulgarian Burgers)

These will be on every Bulgarian village table & in every Bulgarian restaurant these will be on the menu. Most will have Cumin added but for me I prefer them without.
So, its a battle between Burgers & Keftedes. I prefer Burgers but love to be able to cook the Bulgarian version for my friends, they appreciate the effort I go to, to learn traditional village cooking. I do really like the moistness of these too. These are good Keftedes,  pleasing both us & our Bulgarian family.
I have made large keftedes in this photo but they can be halved or even halved again. So 1 Keftede can actually make 2 -4 depending on your appetite & taste.
Keftedes are found in many countries, here is my recipe.......
500g Minced Mutton
1 Slice of Bread
1 Egg
1 Onion, chopped sml
Milk
1 Clove of Garlic, crushed & chopped
1/2 tsp paprika
Salt & Pepper
Fry light  or Vegetable oil
Soften the bread in some milk, then squeeze it out.
Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl, use your hands. Form into balls then flatten.
Spray with fry light or brush with oil & on a very hot griddle cook for 5 mins or so on each side
The Bulgarians serve these with baked rice, but I serve them with Pasta with a tomato, basil & chilli sauce.
Enjoy........ 

No comments:

Post a Comment